Bekti fish fillet, cubed: 700 gm
Salt to taste
Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
Black peppercorns, freshly crushed: 1/2 tsp
Flour: 2 tbsp
Cooking oil to deep fry: 1 cup
Garlic, chopped: 1 tbsp
Ginger, grated: 1 tsp
Spring onions, chopped: 2 stalks
Red chilli paste: 1 tbsp
Soy sauce: 1 tbsp
Honey: 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
- Marinate fish cubes in salt, lemon juice & 1/4 tsp black peppercorns crushed, for an hour or so.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok & dredge the fish cubes in flour.
- Fry the fish cubes till they turn golden brown.
- Remove onto an absorbent paper & keep aside.
- Heat a wok, add 1 tbsp of the oil used to fry the fish, then toss in garlic & ginger.
- Cook on high for a minute, then toss in spring onion whites.
- Add red chilli paste & stir well.
- Toss in soy sauce, then deglaze the wok with honey.
- Dunk in fish cubes & give it all a good mix.
- Adjust the seasoning & sprinkle 1/4 tsp black pepper powder.
- Cook for a minute or two, then sprinkle sesame seeds & spring onion greens.
- Serve immediately for that extra crunch!
NOTE: This is a delicious Chinese starter which will leave you completely satisfied. Enjoy!