FOR THE PEKING DUCK ROAST
Duck: 1 whole
FOR THE GLAZE
Honey: 5 tbsp
Soy sauce, dark: 2 tbsp
Chinese 5 spice powder*: 1 tbsp
FOR THE ACCOMPANIMENT SAUCE
Sesame oil: 2 tbsp
Hoisin sauce: 6 tbsp
Castor sugar: 6 tbsp
Dark soy sauce: 2 tbsp
Cornflour slurry: 1 tbsp
- Prick the skin of the duck with a fork & pour boiling water & poach on both sides.
- Drain & transfer to a baking tray.
- Dab dry off its moisture with a kitchen towel.
- For the glaze, take a bowl, add honey, dark soy sauce, Chinese spice powder & mix well.
- Pour all over the duck & stuff 2 tbsp of this glaze in its cavity.
- Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10 mins.
- Bake the duck for an hour, turning it on the other side, half way.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the accompaniment sauce by heating a pot, adding sesame oil.
- Once heated, add hoisin sauce, 6 tbsp water, castor sugar & allow to melt.
- Add dark soy sauce & mix well.
- Gradually add cornflour slurry & mix till it turns sticky & thick.
- Serve the fully baked duck with the accompaniment sauce along with spring onion & carrot julienne.
NOTE: This is a highly popular Chinese delicacy. Chinese 5 spice powder is a well balanced mix of star anise. cinnamon, black peppercorns, cloves & cumin. Enjoy!