Butter: 3 tbsp
Bay leaf: 1
Black peppercorns: 1 tsp
Onion, sliced: 1
Garlic, chopped: 2
Celery, chopped: 1 stalk
Leeks, chopped: 1 stalk
Carrots, finely chopped: 1
Prawn shells: 100 gm
Tomatoes, quartered: 2
Tomato puree: 1/4 cup
Fish stock: 1 cup
Flour: 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cream: 1 tbsp
- Heat a saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter & toss in bay leaf & black peppercorns.
- Allow to cook for 30 seconds, before adding onions, garlic, celery & leeks.
- Cook for 2 mins, before adding carrots.
- Cook further for 4 mins, before adding tomatoes.
- Stir fry for 3 mins, then add tomato puree.
- Cook for 2 mins more, then add fish stock.
- Allow a boil to come, then allow to cook uncovered for 10 mins on slow.
- Add 2 cups of water, cover & cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Separately, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a small pan, add flour & prepare a roux by cooking the paste.
- Remove the fish soup from fire, drain & re flame.
- Add prawns & poach them in the liquid for at least 5 mins, before stirring in roux.
- Season with salt & finish off with cream.
- Serve immediately in individual portions, each garnished with a single shrimp. NOTE: We generally tend to discard prawn shells into the bin. Well, then do reuse them for a healthy, hearty soup the next time. Enjoy!