Potato, cut into wedges: 5
Cornflour: 3 tbsp
Oil to deep fry: 2 cups
Dry red chilies, broken: 4-5
Sichuan peppercorns, crushed: 10
Onion, sliced: 1
Garlic, chopped: 4
Red chilli paste: 1 tsp
Soy sauce: 1 tsp
Sugar: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Vinegar: 1 tbsp
Spring onions, chopped: 2
1) Soak potatoes in cold water for half an hour.
2) Heat sufficient water & parboil potatoes.
3) Remove & drain. Cool.
4) Dust the parboiled potatoes with 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour.
5) Heat cooking oil in a wok, deep fry the potatoes for 2 mins or until golden brown & crisp.
6) Drain on an absorbent paper.
7) Blend the remaining cornflour in 1/4th cup of water.
8) Heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a wok, add dry red chilies & stir fry for 30 seconds.
9) Immediately add Sichuan peppercorns, onions & garlic.
10) Continue to stir fry.
11) Stir in red chilli paste blended with 2 tbsp of water, soy sauce, sugar & salt.
12) Stir in blended cornflour & mix well.
13) Finish off with vinegar & cook for 1/2 a minute.
14) Serve hot garnished with spring onion greens.
NOTE: Sichuan is a city of China famous for its peppercorns which impart a particular flavour to the dish. Enjoy!